At San Francisco State University, grants are need-based aid that students do not have to repay as long as they maintain eligibility requirements. This page highlights the grants that students may be eligible for by completing a financial aid application each year.

Federal grants are funded by the U.S. Department of Education. To apply for Federal grants, students must submit a Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) every year. Federal grants are need based; not all students who file a FAFSA will be eligible for this aid type. See the Federal grants page for more information on the following Federal grants:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

There are a number of state-based grants that are reserved for students who demonstrate financial need. For all state-based aid, students must file a financial aid application (FAFSA or CADAA) by the March 2nd priority deadline every year.

Supplemental applications or documents may be required in addition to the financial aid application, depending on what you are applying for. See the State Grants page for more information on the following state-based grants:

  • State University Grant (SUG) - Undergraduate and Graduate
  • Cal Grant A or B
  • Middle Class Scholarship (MCS)
  • EOP Grant
  • CHAFEE Grant