Teaching Credential

The Graduate College of Education at SF State offers a variety of credential and degree options for students. The following information is geared toward helping you better understand the financial support available to you in these programs. Financial assistance is different for Credential students as opposed to Master's degree students. Credential students are considered 5th-year undergraduate students for financial aid purposes. Students dually enrolled in the credential, and Master's programs are considered graduate students.

Please carefully read the information below to ensure that your FAFSA application is completed appropriately.

How to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)* as a Credential Student:

When completing the 2018/2019 FAFSA, credential students must provide the following answers.

  1. Question #29: What will your college grade level be when you begin the 2018/2019 school year?

    • Answer: 5th year/other undergraduate
  2. Question #30: What degree or certificate will you work on when you begin the 2018/2019 school year?
    • Answer: Teaching credential (non-degree program)
  3. Question #48: At the beginning of the 2018/2019 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program?
    • Answer: No

*If you are an AB540 student, direct any questions you may have about the application process to dreamer@sfsu.edu.