Tax information can be securely and directly linked to your FAFSA application using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Click here for instructions on how to use the Data Retrieval Tool. You can also view this helpful IRS Data Retrieval Tool tutorial from UC Santa Barbara!
HOW SOON AFTER FILING A FEDERAL TAX RETURN CAN I USE THE IRS TOOL?
||IRS Data will be available to fill in the FAFSA within 2 weeks of filing.|
||IRS Data will be available to fill in the FAFSA within 6 – 8 weeks of filing|
Who is eligible to use the Data Retrieval Tool
You will be given the option to view/transfer your IRS information if you have:
- Filed your Federal Tax Return(s)
- A valid social security number
- A Federal Student Aid ID (if you do not have a FSA ID, you will be given the option to apply for one)
- Not changed your marital status since December 31 of the previous year
Who is not eligible to us the Data Retrieval Tool
The following circumstances make you ineligible to use the Irs Data Retrieval Tool:
- Filed an amended Federal Tax Return
- Will not file a Federal Tax Return
- Are married but filed separate tax returns
- Those without a valid SSN - filers who used a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- Filed a foreign tax return (including Puerto Rico)
Parents who are married but filing separately must submit two separate IRS transcripts. A signed and translated copy of foreign tax return must submit to our office are required for those filing a foreign or Puerto Rican tax return.
Students and Parents who are not eligible to use the Data Retrieval Tool must request a Tax Return Transcript.