The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) strives to support students throughout the financial aid process. OSFA has the overall responsibility of administering federal and state financial aid and scholarships for San Francisco State University. We determine the eligibility, awarding and the conditions in which federal and state aid may be disbursed.
OSFA communicates with students via their SF State email and/or their Gateway account. Make sure to check both, regularly. Watch a short video on how to use Gateway, and follow these steps to access your financial aid status on Gateway.
Financial Aid Verification Documents processing time:
Currently, we are working on files with documents submitted on April 4, 2018 . Due to the high volume of verification documents received, it is 6- 7 weeks processing time to receive an financial aid award offer. We urge students to monitor their SFSU emails and To-Do lists for any updates. We appreciate your patience during this time.
- 2018-2019 Financial aid awards or "To Do list" items have been posted. Log in to your Student Center to view your status.
- Summer 2018 Financial Aid Information and Summer Disbursement Dates
- Session R1 & R4 : 06/17/2018
- Session R2 : 07/01/2018
- Session R3 : 07/22/2018 weekly until 08/08/2018
(last summer disbursement date)
If student enrolled in two different sessions (R1 & R2) or (R2 & R3) the disbursement will be the last session date.
- 2018-2019 FAFSA still available! Students may continue to submit a FAFSA application past the March 2, 2018 priority deadline.
Limited Financial Aid Counselor hours on the following dates:
- Wednesday (5/2, 5/9, 5/16, 5/23 and 5/30) from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Thursday (5/3, 5/10, 5/17, 5/24 and 5/31) from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Due to the high volume of document processing, our Financial Aid Counselors will not available on a drop-in counseling or by telephone. During our office closure, our student assistant will be available to accept documents and answer general questions only. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Other links and resources
How and when to apply. To receive financial aid, you must apply every year.
Net Price calculator. Estimate your prospective financial aid eligibility at SF State. The Net Price Calculator is not an official offer of financial aid nor an application for financial aid, but rather a tool for estimating your eligibility.
Sneak Preview 2018 Presentation. View our presentation from SF State's annual Sneak Preview event hosted on April 7, 2018.