Please see instructions below on how to submit 2017 tax information under uncommon circumstances.
Married Filing Separate or Unmarried - Both Living Together
If your 2017 tax filing status was Married Filing Separate OR a parents' marital status was listed as "Unmarried - Both Living Together" on the FAFSA, submit:
- IRS Tax Return Transcript for each parent
If one or both parents did NOT file taxes in 2017, an IRS letter of non-filing must be provided for each parent.
Change in marital status after 2017 taxes were filed
If your tax filing status was Married Filing Jointly and have since separated, submit:
- 2017 IRS Tax Return Transcript and copies of all of your W-2s.
Amended Tax Filers
An individual who filed an amended IRS income tax return for tax year 2017 must submit:
- 2017 Tax Account Transcript, in addition to one of the following:
- Completed the IRS Data Retrival Tool on the FAFSA with all tax information from the original tax return; or
- A 2017 IRS Tax Return Transcript (that will only include information from the original tax return and does not have to be signed), or any other IRS tax transcript(s) that includes all of the income and tax information required to be verified.
Foreign Tax Filers
Those who filed taxes in another country must submit the following:
- Foreign Tax Return reflecting 2017 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and taxes paid and
- A translated copy of the foreign tax return
Those who lived in another country but did not file taxes in 2017 must submit:
- Non-filing documentation from their relevant tax authority
Victims of Identity Theft
An individual who was the victim of IRS tax-related identity theft must provide:
- A Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) transcript obtained from the IRS, or any other IRS tax transcript(s) that includes all of the income and tax information required to be verified; and
- A statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS is aware of the tax-related identity theft.
To request aTax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) you may contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490