Federal Work-Study

What is it?

Federal Work-Study on your Financial Aid Award means that you are eligible to be paid Work-Study funds if you get a job on campus. Work-Study is not a grant or a loan, nor is it a guarantee of a job. You must apply and interview for a Work-Study job. The amount you earn is dependent upon the job you obtain and your award amount. The main advantage of Work-Study employment is that your Work-Study earnings do not count against you as a financial resource on your FAFSA.

Do I need to be enrolled in units to earn Work-Study?

Yes, you must be enrolled at least half time (6 units for undergrads, 4 units for grads).

How do I get a Work-Study job?

To search for jobs, visit Handshake linked on the Student Involvement and Career Center website. All Work-Study jobs are on campus only.

How does my Work-Study Award disburse?

Work-Study actually does not disburse like other financial aid. You receive a paycheck every pay period when you report your work hours. The paycheck is your Work-study money. You cannot earn in excess of the award offered, so your employer should be keeping track of your earnings.

A Work-Study employer wants to hire me. What do I do next?

Your employer will assist you with these steps, but here are some helpful links that you will need to complete the hiring process:

  • The EEV Form (I-9): Submit this form along with required identification to the Dean of Students Office during Student I-9 Authorization hours.
  • The Student Tool Kit on the Dean of Students website lists all of the other forms you may need, plus guides on reporting your time and other resources.
  • The Manager Tool Kit is to assist employers with the hiring process, shows how to post job openings, as well as other information.

I am running out of my Work-Study award. Do I have to stop working?

Yes, but you have options. You may not have to stop working if your employer can pay you out of a different fund (eg Student Assistant fund), or if you have room in your financial aid award budget for an increase in your Work-Study award.
To inquire about eligibility for an increase, talk to your employer, or have him/her contact: Dennis Santos at dsantos@sfsu.edu


For PDF files, you'll need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or above to view it. If you need Adobe Acrobat Reader it's available free from Adobe

(link is external)