Interested in taking summer classes? Learn about what type of aid is available and how to receive a financial aid award.
Summer Disbursement Information
There is one disbursement date per session. Disbursement occurs after the Census Date of each session, and only if a student is confirmed to be enrolled in at least half time. Enrollment is confirmed on the Census Date of each session.
June 1: First date of session
June 12: Census date
June 15: Disbursement Date
State University Grants (SUG) will disburse after R1/R4 disbursement date.
Students who are enrolled in part-time during R1/R4 and have been awarded with SUG will not see their SUG disbursement until the R2, R3, or additional disbursement dates, listed below.
All other aid for R1 and R4 enrollment will disburse on June 15, assuming proper enrollment.
June 26: Census date
July 6: Disbursement Date
July 17: Census date
July 20: Disbursement Date
What session will my aid disburse?
Your aid will disburse once it is confirmed that you are enrolled in the minimum amount of units to receive Summer Aid (half time: 6 units for undergradate students, 4 units for graduate students). Confirmation of your enrollment will occur on the Census Date of each session. Students who are enrolled in multiple sessions may have their aid delayed.
Examples for students enrolled in one session:
- A student is enrolled in 6 units, with all 6 units in R1 session. This student's aid will disburse during the R1 disbursement date.
- A student is enrolled in 6 units, with all 6 units in R2 session. This student's aid will disburse during the R2 disbursement date.
Examples for students enrolled in multiple sessions:
- A student is enrolled in 6 units, with 3 units in R1 and 3 units in R2. This student's aid will disburse during the R2 disbursement date.
- A student is enrolled in 9 units, with 3 units in R1 and 6 units in R3. This student's aid will disburse during the R3 disbursement date.
- A student is enrolled in 9 units, with 6 units in R1 and 3 units in R2. This student's aid will disburse during the R1 disbursement date (for 6 units), and an additional disbursement will occur during the R3 disbursement date for the rest of their units.
What type of aid is available?
There are several types of financial aid available for students interested in enrolling in summer courses:
Federal Pell Grant:
Year round Pell available! Students may receive up to 150% of Pell grant for one academic year.
- If you received a Pell grant in Fall/Spring, you may receive an additional semester of Pell grant for the Summer as long as you are enrolled in a minimum of 6 units.
- Any Pell Grant disbursed during Summer will be included in your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU). The lifetime Pell limit is 6 years or 600%.
- Students who did not receive the maximum amount of Pell during the Fall 2019/Spring 2020 semesters (because they were enrolled in less than 12 units) will be reoffered their remaining Pell eligibility.
- Year round Pell available! Students may receive up to 150% of Pell grant for one academic year.
State University Grant (SUG): Students who were awarded with SUG during the Fall 2019/Spring 2020 semesters could be eligible for SUG in Summer 2020.
- Students who received a Cal Grant may be eligible for a Summer SUG, if their Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is 5,576.
- Federal Direct Loans: Students who did not use the maximum amount of loans during the Fall 2019/Spring 2020 semesters will be reoffered their remaining loan eligibility.
Other aid types that are available but requires additonal steps:
How do I receive a Financial Aid award?
To be eligible for Summer aid, you must:
- Have eligibility for at least one of the three aid types listed above
- Be registered in at least 6 units (undergraduate students) or 4 units (graduate students) during the Summer priority registration.
Students do not get awarded until after they have completed the "Report Summer Units" To Do List, located in their Student Center.
Visit the Registrar's Office page to learn more about registration and important dates and deadlines for Summer 2020. Students are encouraged to register for Summer classes prior to receiving a financial aid award.
Summer Tuition and Fees
For complete information on Summer 2020 tuition fees, deadlines for payment, and refund schedule please visit the Bursar’s Office website