Interested in taking summer classes? Learn about what type of aid is available and how to receive a financial aid award.
What type of aid is available?
There are several types of financial aid available for students interested in enrolling in summer courses:
Federal Pell Grant:
Year round Pell available! Students may receive up to 150% of Pell grant for one academic year.
- If you received a Pell grant in Fall/Spring, you may receive an additional semester of Pell grant for the Summer as long as you are enrolled in a minimum of 6 units.
- Any Pell Grant disbursed during Summer will be included in your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU). The lifetime Pell limit is 6 years or 600%.
- Students who did not receive the maximum amount of Pell during the Fall 2018/Spring 2019 semesters (because they were enrolled in less than 12 units) will be reoffered their remaining Pell eligibility.
- Year round Pell available! Students may receive up to 150% of Pell grant for one academic year.
State University Grant (SUG): Students who were awarded with SUG during the Fall 2018/Spring 2019 semesters could be eligible for SUG in Summer 2019.
- Students who received a Cal Grant may be eligible for a Summer SUG, if their Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is 5300 or below and they submitted a 18-19 FAFSA/CA Dream by March 2, 2018.
- Federal Direct Loans: Students who did not use the maximum amount of loans during the Fall 2018/Spring 2019 semesters will be reoffered their remaining loan eligibility.
Other aid types that are available but requires additonal steps:
- Parent and Grad PLUS loans: If you would like to pursue a PLUS loan in the summer, please contact our PLUS coordinator, Kimberly Yagi firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alternative loans
How do I receive a Financial Aid award?
To be eligible for Summer aid, you must:
- Have eligibility for at least one of the three aid types listed above
- Be registered in at least 6 units (undergraduate students) or 4 units (graduate students) during the Summer priority registration.
Students do not get awarded until after they have completed the "Report Summer Units" To Do List, located in their Student Center (not available until April 2019)
Visit the Registrar page to learn more about registration and important dates and deadlines for Summer 2019. Students are encouraged to register for Summer classes prior to receiving a financial aid award.
Summer Tuition and Fees
For complete information on Summer 2019 tuition fees, deadlines for payment, and refund schedule please visit the Bursar’s Office website